To the Kids4Peace Community,
As Shabbat comes to Jerusalem on this first Friday of Ramadan, our prayers are mixed with tears.
An escalation of violence in Jerusalem and the surrounding region has brought death and suffering to yet more Palestinian and Israeli families. Calls for retaliation and vengeance threaten further destruction.
In the midst of overwhelming fear,
Kids4Peace remains a powerful sign of hope.
We are one of the only places where Jews, Christians and Muslims from all parts of Jerusalem and the West Bank meet face to face. Our long-term approach is our strength. With the leadership of Jerusalem Co-Directors Mohammad Joulany and Rebecca Sullum, we are responding to the current situation with courage and compassion.
- Interfaith Iftar: Next Wednesday, K4P Jerusalem will gather for an Interfaith Iftar: A Dinner of Prayer, Community and Hope.
- #ViolenceStopsWithMe: K4P Jerusalem launched a #ViolenceStopsWithMe online campaign, to counter the message of vengeance and retaliation that is spreading through Jerusalem. Join them by changing your cover photos to the pic above.
- We continue our regular programs and meetings, to the extent that safety will allow.
Kids4Peace was born in the midst of violence, by brave families who risked coming together, precisely when the conflict was driving them apart. Two years ago we met to pray during the violence in Gaza. We face another moment of deep pain, suffering and fear.
- Together, we mourn the death of Mohammad Dudeen, Naftali Fraenkel, Gil-ad Shaar, Eyal Yifrach, Muhammad Hussein Abu Khdeir and the many victims of the conflict whose names have been forgotten.
- Together, we affirm the sanctity of all life and pray that no more families will feel the pain of this most tragic loss.
- Together, we commit to continue our daily work of ending conflict and inspiring hope in Jerusalem and beyond, through interfaith learning, leadership development and nonviolent action.
And it’s only possible because of you.
Next month, nearly 100 Jerusalem youth will attend camps in the USA, and I want to shower them with support. Here are some ways to help.
- Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem. Remember the victims and the peacemakers in your congregation’s prayers. As people of faith, we need to acknowledge the pain and maintain our hope.
- Send a Message of Support. Write a note to a young peacemaker on this online form. This year especially, it will be so hard for the Jerusalem kids to leave home and come to camp. Your support will make all the difference.
- Follow & Share the Kids4Peace Blog There is so much bad news coming from the media. We need to remind the world that people still work for peace. Follow k4pblog.org and share daily updates with family and friends. If you have contacts in the media, please email me.
- Give as Generously as you can. This is a critical time, and you can be part of the solution. Help Kids4Peace end this conflict, so no more children will die of violence. Donate Now.
Thank you for keeping the light of hope alive.
Interfaith Prayer during the Fighting in Gaza Two Years Ago
Join the Campaign #ViolenceStopsWithMe
3300 Chimney Rock, Suite 301, Houston, TX 77056 www.k4p.org